The Microsoft download for Server 2012 R2 won't install - it gets to the point where it's expanding files and for me, at 35% would say, "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570 "
Reading online, I found that the issue is literally due to a bad file from Microsoft -
I ran this checksum checker: http://www.winmd5.com/
and got this checksum from the bad file:
When I really needed:
I downloaded the files using different methods (browser, computer, ISP & physical location) multiple times, without luck.
Solution:Finally I did a search for the checksum along with the word torrent and was introduced to the site burnbit.
Burnbit takes download links and turns them into torrents.
As you can see it has the same download link as the official MS site listed as a seed.
From there, I went through the download. I noticed that about 98%, my download crapped out!
I had to close and reopen my torrent client (qbtorrent) multiple times to get it to finally progress. Once finished, I ran a check through QBtorrent and it came back OK
Then I ran the md5 checker on the file downloaded through bittorrent and it was OK.
The issue seems to be on Microsoft's side - I think the download is puttering out in speed until it reaches 0kbps, at which point your browser says "DONE" when in actuality it's sitting at 98%!
So when your torrent does the same thing, just close and reopen it several times until it completes. I wouldn't even wait for it to get down to 1kbps, just close and reopen, it'll pop to full speed for a moment or two, get several 10th's of a percent and you'll be done!
I'm going to add burnbit to my toolset.